The victims of this throwaway culture are precisely the weakest and most fragile human beings – the unborn, the poorest, the sick and elderly, the seriously handicapped, etc. – who are in danger of being thrown away, expelled from a system that must be efficient at all costs.
Pope Francis address to a delegation from the Dignitatis Humanae Institute, Dec. 7, 2013
Today, we remember a devastating decision that greatly contributes to the throwaway culture that our Holy Father references: on January 22, 1973, Roe v. Wade legalized abortion in our country.
And every year since then, the March for Life converges in our nation’s capital to commemorate the 55 million lives lost because of abortion and the mothers and fathers who have experienced the emotional pain of abortion.
At Catholic Charities, we often participate in the March, and we always pray for the success of the March:
- That those affected by abortion would come to know the Lord’s mercy
- That next year, the March would cease to be necessary
- That Pro-Life messages of dignity, respect and love would motivate all
However, all year, we are prayerfully and actively engaged in the pro-life movement. We promote the dignity and respect of all, seeing each client as a child of God and created in His image and likeness.
To honor today’s March for Life and our pro-life mission at Catholic Charities, we’ve rounded up five of our top pro-life articles from the past year:
- Celebrating Thanksgiving, Celebrating Adoption tells the joyous and long awaited adoption story of a Falls Church couple.
- St. John Paul II, Pray For Us! remembers our past Holy Father’s unwavering commitment in defense of life.
- Adoption and the Rise of the Internet reminds us of the vital importance of face-to-face connection, especially on the adoption journey.
- To Have that Support – It Means the World to Me chronicles a birth mother’s journey that started with an unplanned pregnancy and continues to this very day, though she placed her son with adoptive parents nine years ago.
- The Opposite of Planned Parenthood illustrates the dignity and respect we show to each and every client.
It is our prayer that, like these stories above, you will live your life with a pro-life focus. Pope Benedict reminds us, “‘the fundamental human right, the presupposition of every other right, is the right to life itself.”