For some of us, summer means vacations and outdoor fun, but for countless kids in our Diocese, it may mean skipping breakfast or lunch. However, you can help! Read below to see what you can do to help hungry kids in our diocese.
In the Diocese of Arlington more than 88,000 children live in food insecure households, according to a study from Feeding America that charts data by county in each state.
The need is especially great in the summer because children are no longer receiving free meals during school. You can ensure that more kids will receive healthy meals this summer by supporting Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington and our St. Lucy Project right now.
Additionally, our abundance of Fall and Christmas donations are running low. We always plan for our food pantries to be well-stocked, yet with a network of more than 55 pantries, we must also care for the pantries in the hardest hit communities in our diocese. Your support will make a huge impact!
1. Donate kid-friendly items like fruit, granola bars, pretzels or easy-to-make meals like soup or macaroni and cheese.
2. Make a one-time gift or monthly commitment to support The St. Lucy Project.
3. Ask your business to participate in an employee service day or corporate sponsorship.
4. Volunteer to bag groceries, stock shelves, load boxes of food or drive donations.
5. Commit to praying for the hungry in our diocese!
* * *
Get Involved! We need you to join Catholic Charities in making a difference in the lives of the poor! There are a variety of ways to give back – with the St. Lucy Project and with all of our programs. Your gifts of time, talent and treasure are priceless. To volunteer with Catholic Charities, please sign up on our volunteer page or contact Sally O’Dwyer at (703) 841-3838 or SOdwyer@ccda.net. To make a financial donation, please make a gift online or contact James Michels at (703) 841-3841 or JMichels@ccda.net.